ULCOS: Ultra-low carbon dioxide steelmaking

Today, ULCOS is the largest initiative within the worldwide steel industry proactively looking for solutions to the threat of global warming. The consortium´s expertise ranges from steel making to biomass production and geological CO 2 storage, and it includes world-class expertise in process science, engineering, the economics of energy, and foresight studies in relation to climate change. The ULCOS partners fund 60 % of the EUR 75 million budget. The European Commission contributes the remaining 40 % through its RTD framework programmes and the RFCS (Research Fund Coal Steel) programmes. Both are set up to promote industrial research and technological development within Europe.

Considerable research has been carried out in the ULCOS programme since its start-up in 2004. An initial feasibility study lasting four to five years investigated over 80 technologies, several of which were identified as offering potential breakthroughs in clean steel making. ULCOS has now selected four process concepts – which have been experimentally tested – that could lead to a reduction of carbon dioxide (CO 2 ) emissions by more than half compared to current best practice. These concepts are now being implemented in working steel plants in the following phase of the project – UCLOS II – which is planned to run from 2010 to 2015. The results of ULCOS II can potentially be rolled out into production plants some 15 to 20 years from now.

Read more on the ULCOS website

Last updated on: 2012-06-27